Last Friday, I had the pleasure of enjoying my first Scandinavian food experience!
For a short period, I’ve relocated my “office” to the Impact Hub, a wonderful coworking space and community of creatives. Each day, there is a special activity held to encourage a sense of community and sharing, and what better way to bring people together than over food? Insert Nordic Taste.
I’m lucky enough to personally know one of Nordic Taste’s owners, Katrine, who is Danish and invited me to learn more about her and her team’s business by experiencing the wonders of Scandinavian cooking right in the Impact Hub kitchen (My first formal cooking lesson. Yay, because I desperately needed it. My husband is forever in your debt, Katrine!).
Katrine explained to me that before any dish leaves the Nordic Taste kitchen, it must meet a special set of requirements before it meets the Nordic Taste standard:
- Authenticity – the taste must be authentic, so they import the few ingredients that can’t be found locally and even bake their own rye bread, a staple in the cuisine, as it is baked in Scandinavia;
- Health – it must be good for your body but also your soul, so every dish is prepared with positive energy, the healthiest ingredients and most of all, love;
- Sharing – the food experience can also feed your mind and purchasing food from Nordic Taste comes with the opportunity to learn more about Scandinavian cuisine and culture while also learning more about sustainability and local sourcing in the food industry, which is of the utmost importance to the Nordic Taste team. The only items that are imported are the items that cannot be found in Switzerland, which supports the local economy.
In a word, these requirements promote “hygge”, which describes a feeling of happiness, joy and love. As their website describes, ““Hygge” is love. “Hygge” is food. “Hygge” is time spent with your family or friends. “Hygge” is the taste of the North“; and that’s exactly the experience that Nordic Taste creates in every dish.
What is Scandinavian food like?
If a healthy dish in the form of comfort food tickles your fancy, you will LOVE the dishes served up by Nordic Taste.
My time with Katrine was spent preparing 3 different lunch box options from their menu. We made the Nordic Meatball, Chevre and Nordic Spinach Sandwiches. How awesome are these ingredients?
- NORDIC MEATBALLS: pickled mayo, radish and parsley
- CHEVRE: avocado, tomatoes and rosemary (from the vegetarian menu)
- NORDIC SPINACH BUN SANDWICH: Norwegian Smoked Salmon, homemade pesto spread, avocado and spinach
I know, they’re pretty awesome. The only thing more awesome than reading the ingredients is actually tasting them. Holy smokes, I had no idea that such simple foods could taste so amazing, which means that Nordic Taste successfully met and perhaps, exceeded their goal of serving food with a love and freshness you can taste, which is oh-so-satisfying.
Want to be the office hero? Suggest trying something different for lunch with colleagues and order from the Nordic Taste lunch menu*!
*10 box minimum; order a minimum of 48 hours in advance, delivery to greater Geneva area.